tirsdag den 18. august 2009

Thérèse de Dillmont's "Tatting"

I have always been interested in the history of crafts and art. As a young teenager I was often seen at the library with my nose in books about dressmaking from earlier centuries and the like, so when I started to tat, of course I had to learn about the history of tatting aswell.

Several women have been great contributers to modern day tatting, and one of them, Thérèse de Dillmont, who is mostly known for her Encyclopedia of Needlework also wrote a wonderful little booklet, simply called Tatting, which I just managed to secure from the library of my local Art and Design Museum. :D

I really want to recommend it, not only because it's great fun to sit with a book from such an important author in your hands, but also because it has such sweet designs. I have especially fallen in love with some of her medaillons, one of which inspired me to an earring last night. I won't post a picture yet, since I'm not perfectly happy with it yet, but I think it will be good, when I have changed a couple of things to the design. At least I hope so.

Instead I will post another of Thérèse's work, an illustration (medaillon) from the Encyclopedia of Needlework. The pattern is described at the link above. It's quite different from the one from "Tatting", but it has the same beautiful emphasize on the center, which I really like. I've already used the center part of the pattern to create several beautiful small flowers, and I've started to think about how to make round 2 into a sunflower. It should be possible, but I'm not sure when I will have the time to test it.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar